Friday, January 16, 2009

Orientation Quiz

A. What is something that is going well in your life?
Something that is going well in my life is the fact that this year I was able to have my two kids Denauli 10 and Kenny 8 over to my apartment for the weekend on my son’s birthday.

B. What are your specific goals for this class?
My specific goals for this class are to get a solid foundation of graphic design principles and general design fundamentals.

C. What was your first experience with design, computers and imaging technology like?
My first experience with design was great, I made a brochure and business cards for my Caribou Antler Jewelry business using Microsoft Picture it 1999. The brochure was primitive although it inspired me to peruse my dream of becoming a designer.

D. Do you usually work on a Mac or a PC and why?
I work on both platforms although I primarily work on a PC only because I was forced to buy a PC laptop in order to get Indesign CS3 and Photoshop CS3 to work through the UAS VPN Network. These programs would not work on my G5, so now I usually just work on my laptop PC, although I love my Mac.

E. What is your experience level with any of the other image editing or vector programs available?
In spring 2008 I completed CIOS 152 Digital Image Editing (Photoshop CS3), CIOS 251 Desktop Publishing (InDesign CS3), and CIOS 256 Web Design (Fireworks CS3 and Dreamweaver CS3).

F. What is something you liked about your day today?
I liked the fact that all of my coworkers were in a good mood, despite the fact that it is a weekend and everyone has to work terrible hours with multiple unpaid split breaks. When everyone is in a good mood the job is so much more pleasant.

G. How do you plan to use what you learn in this class?
I am hoping that this class will be the foundation to help me further my design career. I plan is to become a web designer skilled in graphic design and web development along with web design; this way I am more marketable and allows me to go in what ever direction the jobs are. And most of all help me in obtaining my ultimate goal, which is to own my own web and graphic design business. I have owned my own web design business for years now and I hope to use some projects

H. What would make this class go very well for you?
Something that would make this class go very well for me would be, for me to put the lessons and principles learned in the book into real life design work for current clients.

I. How do you plan to make this class go very well for you? I plan on devoting allot of time to this class. I plan on using material learned in class on current clients.

J. What do you do for creativity on an on-going basis?
For creativity on an on-going basis I browse the web looking for examples of good design, I then bookmark these pages in delicious account. I also get RSS feeds to my Netvibes account from a few different online magazines for inspiration, for example Smash Magazine. Almost all of my sites for inspiration have come from other delicious users.

K. Who is Milton Glaser? Paul Bass?
Milton Glaser is a well-known graphic designer. He was the founder and president of Push Pin Studios; He started his own studio Milton Glaser Inc in 1974 and continues to produce an astounding amount of design work to this day. In 2004 he was selected for the lifetime achievement award of the Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum. Throughout his career he has had a major impact on contemporary illustration and design.
Paul Bass was a reporter at the New Haven Advocate; he took a year off to write a book. Upon finishing Bass decided not to return to the Tribune owned paper. Unhappy in corporate media, Bass began the Online Journalism Project, promoting not-for-profit business models for journalism.

L Do you own or have access to a color image scanner?
I have access to a color image scanner.

M. What software application will you be using for the course?
For this course I will be using Photoshop, Illustrator, and if needed Fireworks. (Although I doubt I will use Fireworks, as Photoshop is so much more powerful)

No comments:

Post a Comment