Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chapter 5c Letterform Study



With my letterform study composition I started by making 25 or more small compositions using different single letterforms. I tried to use the space around the letters to draw emphasis to the letter. I tried many different letterform compositions; I partially obscured the identity of some letterforms. I cropped some letterforms, I rotated many letterforms, I even reversed a few letterforms. I used a grid system in order to place the individual letterform compositions into the large image composition. I also used a grid system to align the letterforms in the smaller compositions. I used variety of figure-ground relationships in my letterform compositions. In many of these single letter compositions this space around the letterforms gives the illusion of depth. In these figure-ground arrangements the letterform is positive and the ground is negative. Although you may not be able to tell but I spent a lot of time working on this composition, there was a lot of trial and error that went into this project, there were a lot of letterform compositions that did not go into the final composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment