Thursday, February 26, 2009

"24 Shots" Chapter 4 Assignment

I have to admit when I started this project there was a lot of confusion for me, after reading the books version of the assignment I was under the impression that we were to take 24 photographs of the same image and change the appearance of the image through color design principles. I thought forever “what one image can I take 24 photos of and make each image unique? I was at a loss, so I decided to do take 24 photos of a place, so that all the images are related, they’re the same but different; I chose to photograph the Pangborn Memorial Airport in Wenatchee Washington. It was not until after I read John’s blog entry that I put everything together. John made sense of the assignment, unlike the book; so with this in mind I am going to do the best job that I can with the photos that I have, anyway isn’t that what it’s all about seeing design in everything “visual splendor of life all around, it's order, its caos, its beauty in all things obvious and not so obvious.”

This first composition represents symmetrical balance; the photos were taken in the waiting area at the airport. The center image is photo of the waiting area and the images on the sides are photographs of art on the walls. The images are balanced symmetrically; the images are similar on either side of the center axis. Also notice the symmetrical balance of the center photograph with the placement of the art on the walls.


This second composition represents asymmetrical balance; the photos were taken from various areas at the airport from the parking lot, to the ticket counter, to the restrooms. With this composition I was striving to create balance of these different sized images through likeness in the signs. I was also striving for contrast of temperature, from warm to cold with the Apple Blossom queens on one side and blue signs on the opposite, with red signs in between. I threw in a yellow to blue gradient in the background to reinforce the contrast of temperature.


I read over the assignment a few more times and I think I have been looking at this assignment all wrong, I think that my photograph itself is to illustrate the principle. So with that in mind here is a more appropriate photo of asymmetrical balance.


Here is an image that exhibits repetition, this photo is of neatly stacked apple boxes at the Stemilt apple warehouse.


Here is an image that exhibits orientation, this photo clearly shows the viewer the point of view that the designer intended it to be viewed.


Here is an image that I feel displays color balance. In this photograph we see color harmony through color complements; the red of the semi trailer just below the red tips of the apple trees in the background stand out yet are complemented by warm yellows and earth tone shades of brown.


Here is a photo that displays rhythm, from this photo we see the alternating rows of apple tree in a straight line. This alternating rhythm of landscape tree, grass, tree, grass gives shape to the movement in the photograph. The viewer’s eyes are transported up and down the rows of apple trees in a harmonious rhythm.


In this photograph we see dominance in the graffiti art spray painted in 1971. The spray painted flag dominates all of the other graffiti art in this photograph. The combination of vivid colors, image association, and image placement allow this spray painted flag to dominate all of the other graffiti art in this photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment